HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mossberg 835 deer/turkey combo opinions
Old 02-02-2005, 09:17 AM
jb54

Default Mossberg 835 deer/turkey combo opinions

My oldest son, who found girls and fell in love several years ago and put his hunting on hold, just got engaged and has now decided to get back into hunting and become my hunting buddy again. As the owner of several Remington shotguns for small game ( two 20 ga 870's, 20 ga 1187, 16 ga 1100) and a 12 ga Remington 870 Express slug gun for deer and extra full for turkey, I have gotten permission from my boss (the wife) to buy a new gun as I'm passing my Remington 870 on to my son. I have to move on this quickly in case she changes her mind. I've been looking at the 3 1/2 inch Mossberg 835 deer/turkey combo due to price and functionality (it will be my deer slug gun and turkey gun). My Remington 870 is very accurate with the cantalever mounted scope and it throws a pretty nice pattern for turkey. I've been looking at the Mossberg 835 deer/turkey combo to cover both turkey and deer. A Remingon Express combo, with a second barrel purchased separately, would be twice the cost of the Mossberg 835 combo. I am looking for opinions on the Mossberg 835, both pro and con, as having been primarily a Remington owner for the past 30 years, it's difficult considering change but economics is an issue when the difference is several hundred dollars between Remington and Mossberg.