HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Too much gun?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Virginia7

Default RE: Too much gun?

ORIGINAL: dkhamner
.... i hunt every chance i get and do a lot of hog hunting. i've shot them with a rifle as small as the 6 mm up to a .338-378 weatherby. i do prefer a 30 caliber bullet on most game. I believe in such a thing as not enough gun. when all you find is a blood trail and cant find the animal.... not enough gun. i've hit 250+ lb hogs in the ham with a 30 caliber bullet and it might not have killed on the spot but they didn't move far. so is there such a thing as too much gun?
Too much gun? Nope, no such thing. Dead is dead. Better too much, than too little.
Now, having said that, is a 338cal. needed for hogs? No. A bum shot/hit in the hams with a 30cal. or any other is just that, a bad shot. Hey, we all make 'em on
occassion. The real advantage in the bigger calibers is the heavier bullets for penetration, and the bigger holes for blood trails. And, sometimes it's just plain more fun to use a "bigger boomer". At the same time I can understand some folks aggravation when they see folks thinking they just must have the latest & greatest, and biggest magnum available - to hunt a deer that might weigh as much as 150lbs., and often less. Makes no sense, but then does it make any sense to own/drive a Hummer to go cross town, run the kids to school, etc. None of it worth getting worked up over.

Hey, I was once sighting in a 300Win.Mag. when a cottontail made the mistake of coming out into the field. I took his head off with a 180gr. Rem. Core-Lokt. Too much gun? I don't know, it did the job, and the rabbit was tasty later that evening.