HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Archery club members?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 07:17 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Archery club members?

I found a club to join in 1984. Even though I'd already been hunting with a bow since the 50's, I learned more about shooting form/techniques, tuning bows and bowhunting methods in the first two years after I joined than I'd learned in all the years before. Since then, I've served 19 terms as a club officer. Just like anything else, as a club member you only get out of the club what you put into it. If you get involved, you'll have a great time, find a host of new friends, have many invitations to go hunting... Sure, it's work but it's worth it.

If you don't get involved, then you'll make a lot of non-friends and nobody would invite you to anything more than a butt whoopin'. Anyone that's a slacker at their club will likely be a slacker in the hunting camp as well. You can see Angus's opinion about people who don't get involved.

Remember, you joined an ARCHERY CLUB, not an archery range. As a member, YOU are part of the grounds crew. YOU are part of the management team. YOU are a representative of your club. You accepted these responsibilities when you paid your dues. A real man honors his responsibilities.

Angus, sure it would be nice if everyone pitched in and did their part. I'm just enough of an idealist to hope, but cynical enough to know it ain't gonna happen. Just gather up the few guys in your club who want to have a club, who want to put on shoots, and get with it. They are the core of your club, your true members. Don't ever give the slightest consideration to the deadheads. They're nothing but names on your roster and having their money is worse than not having it. Just make sure the membership dues they pay are high enough to cover the wear and tear they cause on your targets.