HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Advice sought for shot draw
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 08:05 PM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Advice sought for shot draw

Is that you in the picture? Your drawlength is about an inch too long. Or should I say, at least 1 inch. And your release is too long. So is your string loop. This all has you overstretched with your drawing arm out of alignment. The string is not supposed to be drawn back along the side of your face. Also looks like you have the palm of your hand into the grip. Definitely a NO-NO. Turn the hand out a bit, at about 20 degrees or so and shoot off the meat of the thumb, letting the bowhand relax. Fingers will naturally wrap around the bow some, but leave the grip loose. There is more but this is enough for now.

When looking at the bows in the "box" store such as Bass Pro you can always ask someone how much a certain bow can be adjusted. I know that many can change out a module. Martin bows, as a rule, can just change the position of the module on them over a 3" range. And they come with what they call a "mini-mod" to add 3" on the short side. I happen to work at a Gander Mt Store and the norm is always 29" draw and 60 or 70lb bows. But some such as Parker, Martin, Darton and such are very adjustable.

As for what weight to shoot? 60 is adequate for anything in N. America, but this is America where more is always better--if you know what I mean. Draw what you can handle without any struggle whatsoever. You'll be able to practice longer and more often, without having to deal with too much bow.