HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Simplicity?
Thread: Simplicity?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Len in Maryland

Default RE: Simplicity?

Technology has and will continue to increase over time. My shop sees the results of technology time and time again when a customer vacates his old equipment for new. They say many times that they'll keep their old bow for a 'back up', but they never go back to that bow. At least that's what we've found with every one of our customers.

The reasons are twofold. First, their new equipment has the technology enhancements. Second, they are set up better than in the past. The draw lengths are set better, the components are matched better, the bow is tuned better, and the customer is taught better.

In the old days we didn't know anywhere near as much about proper form and training as we do today. We didn't think too much about some of the issues that enhance or degrade shooting effectiveness. Now keep in mind that I'm talking in generalities and that there are always exceptions.

One of the things that I discussed in my recent ATA Seminar was the use of new tools that are now available. Lasers are just one example. I also discussed various forms of tuning and shooting. We discussed differences in customer usage and how that can be applied to equipment selection. Plus much, much more.

Has the equipment/technology changed? Yes, and so has the capability of a GOOD Pro Shop. Are things as simple as they used to be? Not at all; but, what is? Some people may be able to work on one bow, their bow, but a PRO Shop has to work on every bow. Part of the ATA (previously AMO) game plan is to educate the Dealers so that they can better help the customer. Dealers teaching Dealers and industry experts teaching Dealers can only lead to a better industry. Yes, archery is much more an industry than it was 20-30 years ago.

A statement that I use quite a bit is; "A bad archer can make good equipment look bad; whereas, a good archer can make bad equipment look good."