HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Simplicity?
Thread: Simplicity?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 08:26 AM
Blodg

Default RE: Simplicity?

Excellent thread PABowhntr and some very well thought out replies. I can offer a little different perspective and it's based on this quote:

ORIGINAL: Buckfevr
I think that if a fella upgrades every year the changes are subtle and don't seem like much. But for a guy(like me) who changes every 5 years or so the differences are profound.
14 years ago I was into shooting 3D as well as some indoor NFAA rounds in the winter. I shot the IBO National Triple crown a few years and went to one ASA Pro-Am so I was into the "archery" side as much as hunting. In 1994 when my son was born I quit shooting target archery but continued to bow hunt each year with the same bow. Now fast forward to 2005 and I am still using that same bow! For pure bow hunting I never felt the need to upgrade so I continued to use the trusty 1993 Jennings Carbon Extreme for 14 or 15 years now. At the time I bought it the Carbon Extreme was one of the best performance bows made and it has the cast riser, steel cables etc….

This year I got bit by the archery bug again and went out and shot some of the new bows. I borrowed a friends Mathews LX for a weekend trial. I spent a few hours at the local Bowtech dealer and ended up ordering an Allegiance. After spending just a few days shooting the LX and the Allegiance when I went back to the bow I had used for 15 years it felt like crap! Much more recoil, more noise, slower, and the one that bothered me the most is that is has a spongy rear wall compared to today's technology.

I don't personally think the drop-away rests are a huge advancement if you took the time to get good fletching clearance. I also don't think the pure carbon arrows are that great like most of the community does. I fall right between the spine ranges for the pure carbons. With my new bow I will be shooting ACC's, the same arrow I used for 3D shooting back 14 years ago! I do, however, think the new sights are a huge advancement over what was available 14 years ago and I will be using a Hogg-It.

I think the advancements in bow technology have been for the better with only a few small trade-offs. The real test for me will be when my Allegiance arrives. I still shoot my old Jennings fairly well and my hunting setup has an old star hunter rest, talk about low technology! The other day I shot a 297/42X during my 2nd indoor round in 14 years using my old aluminum practice arrows (which do not all spin straight, fletches torn etc…). I can't wait to get the Allegiance and start comparing the pure accuracy. If I can't beat 297/42X fairly easily then maybe PABowhntr is right and all that technology has not accomplished much!