HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - butt kicked by a deer? or other big game?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:35 AM
JerseyJim
Typical Buck

Default RE: butt kicked by a deer? or other big game?

I once shot a small 4 point buck (3 on one side and a thick rounded spike on the other) and it dropped in it's tracks. I walked up to the deer and it was still breathing but out cold. I got ready to clean the deer hoping it would die in the mean time. Leaned my gun into a V on a deadfallen tree, took off my jacket, rolled up my sleeves, ect ect.. The deer was still alive so I decided to stick him in the throat with my knife and let him bleed out quickly. I put on my gloves took out my knife and leaned over the buck and stuck him in the throat. Just as I pushed the knife in the buck stood up between my legs and rammed me in the stomach! I'm lucky I didn't stab myself! I caught the 3 point antler with my hand and it got caught on my glove! The deer pushed me back about 5 or 6 feet knocking the wind out of me! It did some crazy bunny hops back and forth making some scary sounds then stopped about 5 feet from me and just stood there staring at me! Steam blowing out it's nostrals and blood gushing out of it's neck stamping it's hooves into the ground snorting like a pig. Here I am 3 feet from my gun holding my knife by the blade missing one glove thinking how bad this is going to be when they find me and my buck both dead at the edge of this field! Well since I took such a beating in round 2 I decided this would be a good time to go for the gun! As I reached for the gun the deer turned and tried to run across the field and I finished him off! I stood there in disbelief talking to myself out loud for about 10 minutes. If anyone had seen me standing there in the cold with no jacket, one glove, staring into a field rambling over and over how messed up that was, the would have locked me up in the looney bin! LOL! From now on a second shot will be used to finish off the deer! There will be no more steel cage matches for me! LOL!