HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which Bullet and Load For Deer / Elk ?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 07:24 AM
Pygmy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Bullet and Load For Deer / Elk ?

Hey... Good to see some familiar handles here, friends from other forums like Cayugad and TXhunter58..

My rifle is a T/C Hawken .50 cal. that is about 35 years old.. Most of my experience has been on whitetails with round balls and they work very well...

Last year I drew a ML elk tag in Colorado, so I decided I needed to find a good conical because .50 cal. round balls are a little light for elk..

After trying several different bullets, I settled on the NoExcuses 460 conical with 80 grains of 777... It loads very easily and is extremely accurate in my rifle...

I was fortunate enough to take a bull elk with it and then I used it for a whitetail here in NY..

The elk dropped in his tracks from a high lung shot but needed a finisher...I recovered both bullets just under the hide on the off side...The deer was lying down facing me...The bullet entered her left eye and ranged down along her neck vertebrae and came to rest in a shoulder, so I managed to recover it.. I would rate bullet performance as excellent...Both bullets from the elk are nearly picture perfect mushrooms and retain nearly all of thier original weight..The one from the deer is busted up somewhat more due to contact with a lot of bone, but still is a formidable hunk of lead...