HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newbie with a slurry of questions.. who's got an hour or so?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:58 AM
ironranger
Typical Buck

Default RE: Newbie with a slurry of questions.. who's got an hour or so?

Great advice thus far. As for the shotgun, what was said is correct. I shoot a Remington 870 super mag but the mossberg is also good in that price range. Do you intend on hunting other birds with it?? Something to think about and either gun is versatile meaning that you can shoot 2 3/4", 3", and 3.5" so I use mine for grouse, pheasants, ducks, and geese too. There are others such as Benelli, etc but you pay the price for them and my budget is stretched thin from wanting to hunt too much!! I don't think camo on a shotgun is that important and being still in the woods is much more important. Movement has burned me more than anything when it comes to turkeys.

What was said about camo is right on. There again, think about where you want to hunt and when. Here where I hunt, we have more gray/brown in early season and it totally greens up by late season. Since I hunt earlier in one state and later in another, I have basic leave brown for early and then buy cheap green long sleeve tee's and pants for late seaon as it's hotter and totally green. There again, good camo doesn't do squat for you when you move too much. Learn to use your eyes only with slow head movements and you probably won't get burned as much.

As for where to hunt in Nevada, I suggest starting with your local sporting goods shop as they may be able to point you in the right direction. Also, contact your state game dept as they may be of service.