Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Newbie with a slurry of questions.. who's got an hour or so? >

Newbie with a slurry of questions.. who's got an hour or so?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Newbie with a slurry of questions.. who's got an hour or so?

Old 12-29-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Newbie with a slurry of questions.. who's got an hour or so?

Hey guys/gals! Just have a few questions, so I'll get right to it. I'm new to the hunting scene, actually I've never hunted a day in my life. To be even more honest, I've never even fired a rifle or shotgun. I own a handgun though, a Springfield Armory XD-9. Which I have fired and I realize has nothing to do with hunting or anything like firing a rifle or shotgun. I've been doing some research and was hoping you guys could... guide me a little.

I'm looking to buy a 12 gauge shotgun, and the one that everyone I've spoken to recommends is the Remington 870 because it can handle a 3 1/2" load or shell and I can have it with a "full-choke".. sorry.. I don't know the jargan yet. How important is having a shotgun that is camo painted? Or does a regular shotgun work alright?

Secondly, I need gear, camo right? Pants, gloves, vest, jacket, hat? What would be ideal for a starter? What is necessary?

Finally, where to hunt. I'm in Las Vegas, NV. Not exactly hunting capital of the world, unless you're hunting hookers.. or bums.. heh. I've noticed that there are some parts of Nevada that do have turkey hunting and some parts of Arizona do as well. Any suggestions? Are there any "groups" that I could join and go hunting with to help me learn the ropes?

Ok ok. A lot of questions, I know, but I am trully interested in Turkey Hunting and look forward to giving it a shot. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie with a slurry of questions.. who's got an hour or so?

I'm looking to buy a 12 gauge shotgun, and the one that everyone I've spoken to recommends is the Remington 870 because it can handle a 3 1/2" load or shell and I can have it with a "full-choke".. sorry.. I don't know the jargan yet. How important is having a shotgun that is camo painted? Or does a regular shotgun work alright?
For turkey hunting you'll want at least a full choke. THe choke basically controls the pattern of the shot. A full choke (or higher) gives you a really tight pattern and is ideal for turkeys. 12 Gauge is probably the best gauge for turkeys, you'll have the most options with it and it has plenty of power. From what I know, the 870 is good, but there are other guns in that price range that handle 3.5" loads, the Mossberg 835 is also a good 3.5" gun. However, 3" loads will also work. Guns that shoot 3.5" will also shoot 3" shells.

Camo guns help, but as long as the gun isn't glossy, you'll be fine.

Secondly, I need gear, camo right? Pants, gloves, vest, jacket, hat? What would be ideal for a starter? What is necessary?
Turkeys have amazing eye sight, you'll want to be in head-to-toe camo, literally.
Hat, face mask, gloves, pants, vest (to carry all the gear), pants, boots. Get as much camo as possible pretty much. Most states require some blaze orange while turkey hunting, so look into that as well.

I'm not sure where to turkey hunt out in Nevada, but I'm sure there are people on this message board that could help you a lot.
Hope I helped.

PS Buy some turkey calls now and practice with them. It helps
Old 12-29-2004, 03:22 PM

Do a little research for hunting clubs in your area. If you can find a group in your area join up with them! Old hunters LOVE to share their vast array of experiences, expertise, opinions, stories, old-wives tales, one that got away stories, and outright lies with Newbies. They will be able to help you with what works in your area, and that could be very different than what those of us in other states deal with. Welcome to the world of the hunter! Be responsible, safe and try to give as much back to the sport as you will get from it.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Scramby

Hey guys/gals! Just have a few questions, so I'll get right to it. I'm new to the hunting scene, actually I've never hunted a day in my life. To be even more honest, I've never even fired a rifle or shotgun. I own a handgun though, a Springfield Armory XD-9. Which I have fired and I realize has nothing to do with hunting or anything like firing a rifle or shotgun. I've been doing some research and was hoping you guys could... guide me a little.

Finally, where to hunt. I'm in Las Vegas, NV. Not exactly hunting capital of the world, unless you're hunting hookers.. or bums.. heh. I've noticed that there are some parts of Nevada that do have turkey hunting and some parts of Arizona do as well. Any suggestions? Are there any "groups" that I could join and go hunting with to help me learn the ropes?

Ok ok. A lot of questions, I know, but I am trully interested in Turkey Hunting and look forward to giving it a shot. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

really i cant tell you much about firing a rifle/shotgun, but i can tell you you need to find someone who can, it is much more complecated than explaining over the i-net.

as for the gun i would find either a 20ga or 12ga with full or extra full choke, in what ever action you prefer, like i said before you need to find someone to help you here, i would suggest someone at your local gun shop. it needs to be a gun that fits you. as for the 3.5 in cahmber it is not neccessary, a 3 in or even 2.75 in chamber will work. for shot i would reccommend #4's copper coated.

here is a few links that might help you sheriff.co.sangamon.il.us/gunsafety.html

www.savetheguns.com/fireamrs_101.htm

as for the camo color, it is not neccessary

__________________________________________________ ________________________

the camo clothes are not neccessary either, you might even need to wear orange depending on your state regulations. any clothes that will blend you with your enviroment will work. neccessary, no camo clothes at all just a pair of jeans and boots. for a starter i would reccommend pants, gloves, seat, shirt, that blend with your enviroment.
__________________________________________________ ________________________

as for places to hunt i cant exactly help you there look around and find someone who can take you hunting

if i were you i would check out the NWTF web site (NWTF.com) and

http://www.theotdoorlodge.com/cgi-bi...p.variables&se

if you have any other ???'s pm or email me and i will help you
Old 12-29-2004, 05:51 PM

Hey, thanks for clearing up so many of the questions I have. When coming into something new, I'm always afraid to get overwhelmed, lucky there are sites, communities and people that are always so kind and willing to help. I'll keep you guys updated how everything is going. I think my first step is buying the shotgun and learning how to use. Again, thanks a lot guys.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:35 PM

I admire your efforts to find out what hunting is all about. You are on the right track, and have been given some good advice. Turkey hunting is the finest hunting sport in the world, and you sure will have fun learning to do it, but it's also a very difficult way to begin your hunting career...these wonderfully frustrating birds are not an easy game animal to fool, even by an accomplished hunter. It will probably take some time and effort on your part to become accomplished at the sport, but judging by your apparent willingness to study and persevere, I'm sure you will eventually succeed.

First, your weapon. I would suggest a 12 gauge as a good all-around gauge that is suitable for a wide variety of game...especially turkeys. You don't need a gun that shoots 3-1/2" shells (they have a lot of kick to them, and a beginning hunter doesn't need to learn "flinching" by being over-gunned). I would suggest a 3" load for turkeys, however....you'll get more shot per load than a 2-3/4" shell, and you want to use as much firepower as you can comfortably handle, in order to administer a quick, humane kill. You owe that to the bird.

That being said, hevi-shot and some of the new "super" loads aren't necessary for success...they are very expensive, and even though they might extend your effective range a few more yards, the true beauty of the sport lies in the satisfaction that you will derive from calling the bird in close, and killing him cleanly. Use good ammo (such as Winchester Supreme 1-3/4 oz. 5's...my favorite), pattern and practice with your weapon so that you know where the load will go and are confident when you pull the trigger, study and practice so that you can positively identify when the bird is within 35-40 yards, and you'll be fine.

As for action type (pump, semi-auto, side-by-side or over/under), they all have strong points and fans, but in the end it's what you will be most comfortable using. A pump takes some getting used to, but since you are just learning to shoot, it might not be so bad. I prefer a semi-auto, but that's probably because I grew up shooting this type, and now I have a hard time remembering to work the action whenever I try to use a pump.

Brand name is another user-preference...Remington certainly makes fine weapons, but so do Berretta, Benelli (my own favorite), Browning, Winchester, ect. Take the time to try a bunch of guns while along with someone who can offer good advice, and try to find one that is most comfortable to you. Comfort and fit are the most important aspects of choosing a weapon.

As for places to hunt; the two states you mentioned (NV and AZ) both distribute turkey tags by way of a lottery, and I'm pretty sure both have already drawn for next spring...I know AZ has, but I'm not positively sure if NV's draw is completed yet. Your neighboring state of UT also has a drawing, and it's already finished too. I'm afraid you'll have to travel a good ways to find "over the counter" turkey licenses....CA, OR, ID, WY, CO, and NM in your area all offer these, and there's good hunting to be found in each one.

I would also suggest joining a local shooting club, and you'll find plenty of people willing to "take you under their wing." There's no finer way to learn, than with a personal mentor.

Best of luck to you!
Old 12-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Great advice thus far. As for the shotgun, what was said is correct. I shoot a Remington 870 super mag but the mossberg is also good in that price range. Do you intend on hunting other birds with it?? Something to think about and either gun is versatile meaning that you can shoot 2 3/4", 3", and 3.5" so I use mine for grouse, pheasants, ducks, and geese too. There are others such as Benelli, etc but you pay the price for them and my budget is stretched thin from wanting to hunt too much!! I don't think camo on a shotgun is that important and being still in the woods is much more important. Movement has burned me more than anything when it comes to turkeys.

What was said about camo is right on. There again, think about where you want to hunt and when. Here where I hunt, we have more gray/brown in early season and it totally greens up by late season. Since I hunt earlier in one state and later in another, I have basic leave brown for early and then buy cheap green long sleeve tee's and pants for late seaon as it's hotter and totally green. There again, good camo doesn't do squat for you when you move too much. Learn to use your eyes only with slow head movements and you probably won't get burned as much.

As for where to hunt in Nevada, I suggest starting with your local sporting goods shop as they may be able to point you in the right direction. Also, contact your state game dept as they may be of service.