HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New property... How do I bring in the bucks?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:33 AM
NHBuck

Default RE: New property... How do I bring in the bucks?

There is a great book available called Deer Management 101. I would suggest you look into it. It is filled with suggestions. 40 acres is tough to keep deer on, especially the bucks and having a farm with fields nearby. I would definitely take at least 2 to 4 acres of the thickest nastiest stuff on the property and make it a sanctuary that absolutely NO traffic is allowed in. The center of the property would be ideal. You can find fast growing vines etc to plant in the area to assist in making it thick and nasty. The county extension services are great resources to talk to.

You need to find out what will grow in the area that will lure the deer. The suggestions of clover etc.. were right on the money. Don't waste your money on biologic and name brands. Go to the local grain store and buy the clover blends there. You will get a great deal more for your money. You also need to be sure that you have year round forage for them or they will move off. I would suggest 4 or 5 1/2 acre to 1 acre plots planted so there is always a fresh crop depending on the season. Ex.. one that greens up in spring and early summer, one that greens during the summer and is drought resistant, one that greens up early fall and lasts until hunting season and a winter field. The fruit trees will take a few years and need to be fenced or protected so they do not eat the shoots. Pecan trees and apple trees tend to be their favorites. Dropping a few trees now and leaving the tops through the winter will help them and open up the canopy to allow light to generate new growth in the spring.

You may be able to talk with the farmer and see what kind of crop damage he is having. He might be a great resource to till and harrow your food plots. Talk to other bordering owners and see if they hunt and are interested in QDM. Local fire department may be able to help you with a control burn of an acre or two. Control burning is a great way to rejuvinate a few acres by clearing out the scrub and allowing the nutrients from the burned plants to fall back in the ground. It is also a lot easier than clearing all the undergrowth manually! I would suggest a long term 5 to 10 year plan. To do it all in a year would be a full time job and very expensive unless you have all the equipment. Good luck and have fun.