HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Jacket Bullet for the 44 Mag
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 12:27 PM
jp4
Spike

Default RE: Jacket Bullet for the 44 Mag

Ditto on the remington jhp bullets. They have a scaloped jacket the peels very uniformly when expanding. It also expands quicker, is best for thin skinned game like whitetails.

I also have a contender in 7X30 Waters. It is the best bet for the contender for long range shooting. Nothing else is close when considering trajectory. Accurate loads ar not a problem either. Notice I did not say encore. For the encore, you can go with full power rifle loads. I would try the 7-08 in an encore.

Basically a 7-30 Waters is a necked down 30-30. But the severe taper of the 30-30 is gone with a sharper shoulder to increase powder capacity. I've gotten 2300 fps from a 140 BT and 2500 fps with a 120 BT. Case forming is as simple as taking a 30-30, lubing it and running it into a 7X30 fl die. Be carefull to NOT set the shoulder too far back. Since the 30-30 shell headspaces on the rim, it's possible to have the shoulder too far back by setting the die down too tight in the press. Best way to prevent case head seperations is to size gradually until the barrel closes with a sanp.