HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Jacket Bullet for the 44 Mag
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 08:20 AM
darylc

Default Jacket Bullet for the 44 Mag

I have hunted deer for the past 40 years but for the past 10 years I have been hunting with a custom built Contender in 7-30 Waters. I hunt in the western UP of Michigan where a long shot is 150+ yards and most shots are in the 60 - 100 yard range.

I recently inherited my father-in-laws mid-60s vintage Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag with a 7½-inch barrel. I have shot the gun many times over the years and the gun even won some early silhouette matches. However my father-in-law loved to test loads and so rarely shot any single load with consistency. I have boxes of ammo with various loads and bullets, mostly cast and swaged GC SWC. All of which shoot pretty good. Probably the most consistency is the primary use of H110 and 2400 powders.

Here is crux of my inquiry: I want a single load for deer hunting at ranges under 100 yards. Over 100 yards, I will be using my Contender. I have had a Doctorsight (holographic sight) mounted on the Blackhawk. (If you have never used one of these you really should check out the Doctersight - awesome!).

I think I want to stick with H110 powder. Given that, I would like to shoot a jacketed HP bullet in 240 - 300 grs. My question is: What JHP bullets give the best accuracy? I'm not too concerned about bullet performance given the short range on thin skinned whitetails and I usually am hunting in snow and the lack of other hunters gives me the luxury of being able to track a deer if I need to and not worry that someone will get him.

So, that's my long-winded question. I want a good accurate JHP bullet for my gun and would like to just start with that bullet and find a good accurate load that I can get consistent with.

Thanks for any input.

Daryl