HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dressing in the cold.
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2004, 12:37 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dressing in the cold.

Layers is the key. I as well use polyproplene against the skin, this includes long johns, shirt, socks and glove liners. Over top is thin layers of fleece dependant on how cold, then a windproof/waterproof liner and fleece on top of that to keep the noise down and a requirement of solid colours of orange, yellow, red or white in rifle season here in Saskatchewan. I where a fleece toque and neck warmer when really cold. For my hands I use the polyproplene liner gloves and flip over mitts, when it gets really cold I add hot hands to the mitt portion. On my feet thinisulate and gortex boots (800 grams for walking/sitting and just sitting I where a 1000 gram boots and fleece booty blankets). When sitting/stand hunting I walk in as light and contolled pace then switch out any damp clothing including socks and boots. I don't use scent loc, etc I just hunt with the wind in my favor(on my nose).

Another key is food and drink. I eat granola, PBJ's, etc and only drink water (frequent sips vs large gulps). In the am I eat a good bowl of oatmeal, milk or OJ and 1 cup of decaf coffee. For me anything with caffine makes me void, another good way to lose body temp.