HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New hunter question
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 08:22 AM
huntress206

Default RE: New hunter question

Handloader cites a very good reference book. Boddington knows his stuff well.
A PH and a veterinarian by profession, Kevin Robertson (I believe that's his name) wrote a prior addition dealing with African game. Anatomical diagrams are accurate. Both of these books are available though Safari Press.

Always make sure to use enough gun for the animal you are pursuing. If you don't use the right caliber/ammo and aim for a shoulder of bone, you rick fragmenting/shattering a little bone and not even contacting the vitals. I favor my Browning .30-06, but, for example, on some African game a .270 or .375H&H is recommended or in some cases required.

For thin skinned NA game like whitetails, if presented with a broadside shot with time for near-perfect placement, you can shoot directly behind the shoulder so as not to take out the shoulder and ruin too much meat. But when you are dealing with dangerous game or an animal you really don't want to run (which should theoretically be any species), playing it safe and breaking that shoulder upon entrance into the vitals usually anchors the animal and drops him. Thicker-skinned animals or those who are "slow to give up the ghost" may require a heavier caliber, a mushrooming bullet (e.g. Trophy-bonded bearclaw by Federal) and/or patience for a quartering-to/fro or broadside shot. In my opinion, you have one of the widest ranges of error if you can select for a broadside shoulder shot. Use caution though, as too low of a shot will probably just give your quarry a broken leg, not the clean kill we want.

Check out those books, and best of luck to you!

Kimberly
-------------------
Field Staff Writer, WomenHunters