HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Relations with Game Wardens, biologists, etc?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:02 AM
charlie brown
Nontypical Buck

Default Relations with Game Wardens, biologists, etc?

I figured this was as good a spot to post this as any, if not then a MOD will surely move it.

I am kind of curious as to how game wardens, biologists, etc., are involved with people in other states. Do they just come along, ask for the license and go on their way? Do they stick around, chat for a few, give a few pointers as to where the fishing or hunting has been good, places to try, things to try, etc? How many people speak with the biologist covering the area they are interested in? How many volunteer for activities throughout the year?

I for one, volunteer a lot. I helped one biologist with the bibliographical section of a report he put out regarding the population of mule deer in Nevada. That was this year, and probably yeilded about 40 hours of my volunteer time. I volunteered one day this summer during a wildlife week, the DOW was hosting after school got out. It was birds and bats day, which involved a visit from a Great Horned Owl, and helping youngsters build bird and bat houses. I have also helped build 2 water "guzzlers" in the last two years (started volunteering last year), and will be helping with a desert bighorn sheep transplant in about 10 days, providing the weather cooperates, and the capture goes on.

I am making practically weekly calls to the NDOW to ask about fishing conditions of certain spots, find out where the rabbit hunting has been good, offer my efforts for any other projects, and when I am in Elko, I stop in and BS for a while.

When I am in the field, I always have good experiences with the game wardens. Not only have they checked my license as they should, but I have had one give me a ride back to my car while fishing, one pointed out where some deer were hanging out, one told me of the general habits of the deer in that peticular area, who was also the one who I chatted with for close to an hour along with my dad, and another group of people who he just warned for not having enough PFD's in their boat, forcing them to reduce the number of people in the boat.

To me it seems that most people around here have a pretty good attitude toward the DOW and in return the DOW has a good attitude towards the public.

I would just like to know how everyone else's experience has been with their respective Fish and Game agency.