HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting
Thread: Hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting

steveo551:

I feel for you. I don't get many shots at bucks either, being still a "novice" deer hunter after three years of deer hunting (I'm 48 years old, though, coming to the sport rather late).

Can you get a doe permit in addition to the buck permit? Doe are as good or better for eating purposes. Yes, I'm sure you'll still want to get a buck, but why not take a doe if you get a shot and continue to hunt for a buck too? This may reduce your frustration a little if you don't take a buck.

I have asked myself, and some experienced people on another hunting board, what the story is, that bucks are almost like a different species from does to hunt. They agreed and said spending a lot of time in the woods is important. Hunt all day -- from BEFORE first shooting light until shooting light is gone. Spend time scouting your hunting ground before the season -- like way before the season. Maybe try to do some scouting right after a snow fall to see where the tracks of the deer are going. Maybe you'll see specific points along creeks where all the deer choose to cross. Maybe you'll find specific places where the deer cross fences. Look for and identify food sources the deer prefer -- for example oak trees produce acorns in some years and deer love these. Persimmons and other fruit, including apples, are loved by deer. Scout also closer to hunting season. Look for "rubs" on the sides of trees where bucks have rubbed their antlers -- and their preorbital glands to leave scent -- on the trunks of the trees. If the rub is only on one side of the tree this may indicate the direction the buck follows along that particular trail.

Of course, you also need to see sign of deer -- tracks, poop, hair on fences, rubs, scrapes. You definitely need to know that there are bucks on your hunting ground! If you don't have any bucks or no bucks big enough to satisfy you, then you need to find another hunting ground!

Find an experienced deer hunter and ask them to teach you, to go with you into the field.

Read books and ask questions.