HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Raise the hunting age?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Buck Huntin Girl

Default RE: Raise the hunting age?

Absolutely NOT, I hope they don't raise the age on that.

My children are now 5 and 3, and both very much interested in the outdoors. My 5 yo daughter goes fishing, has an interest in fly fishing, has MAJOR interest in hunting, in fact, she asked Santa for hunting clothes and a bow for Christmas. She has even sat down with us and helped to tie flies! In the last two weeks, she has worked diligently to read, and can read most words with 5 letters or less... the rules in Indiana are if you can pass the hunter safety course, you can hunt. Of course I would NEVER let her go by herself, and I am assuming she will be unable to pass the course until she is 7. Quite honestly, she does not follow directions very well right now and even if she was 8 and passed the course, I would NOT allow her in the woods until she learns I know more and she is not queen bee.

I think much of it has to be up to the parents. It is MY call, not the state's. Some kids are very booksmart and can pass a course no problem, but when it comes to common sense, some are lacking, and as much as I love my kid, right now she lacks the common sense to understand the ins and outs of hunting.

I would have no problems with the regulations stating there must be adult supervision under the age of 16 or so.