HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 25 WSSM
Thread: 25 WSSM
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 25 WSSM

I always forget something important when I get excited (I was REALLY excited about that rifle!!).

I don't know if any are offered yet, or if any will be any time soon, but if the WSSM's perform similarly to the WSM line, they'd make outstanding compact/short bbl rifles. Testing my old gunsmith and I did with the .300, .270, and 7mm WSM's compared to their comprable "parents" involved comparing standard length performance to compact length performance. In the parent cartridges, reducing bbl length from 22" to 16.5" gave a velocity drop of approx 15-18%, in the WSM line, I noted a loss of only about 8-10%...so the .300WM dropped from ~3000fps to ~2600fps, while the .300WSM only dropped to about 2750fps from 3000.

So, I'd be REALLY interested to see a WSSM offered in a short action 16.5" heavy bbl full sized block bedded target bellied synthetic stock marketed as a compact/lightweight varminting rifle...I would expect one would notice outstanding accuracy and barely notice the loss of energy due to the shortened bbl.