HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to hunt bucks?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 08:17 AM
TURKEY FAN
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to hunt bucks?

hmmmmm.[X(] I would have to say if you want to shoot a large buck, the property you hunt must have them there. There is no point in hunting a place that does not hold what you are looking for. You have to pass on alot of deer to get a nice buck in my experience. The first time you hunt a spot thought is sometimes the best time to harvest a mature buck. You are right they are different animals in my mind. They think different than other deer i believe. Scouting is the key to finding your buck, like rubs, scrapes, buck corridors, bedding areas, and funnels. If there is sighn of a large buck, then he is there he is just hiding. Late season hunt the food source, where after the rut the big boys need to replenish after losing all that weight. Here in ohio we didnt have a very hard rut, necks were not even swollen! The rut here was a nocturnal rut due to the warm weather. but during the late morning the bucks would cruise the brim, meaning trying to wind a doe in heat and when he would find one, he would corral her or them into an area and not let them leave until he was finished! Made it hard, but i was successful again this year in getting a mature 8pt, someone stole my 10pt i shot off the side of the road!![:@] Anyhow, hunt the food source, play the wind and be patient, if he is there he will show.