HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Curious! Techies please reply.
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 04:48 PM
BHunter32
Fork Horn

Default Curious! Techies please reply.

I have a question about tuning field points and broadheads to hit the same point of impact. This is an experience I recently had and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it. I was shooting a hoyt xtec and paper tuned it. I never could get a perfect bullet hole, just a slight high left tear no matter what I did to the rest or nocking point. The bow is still super accurate though. I have read on other forums of people advancing the top cam slightly and this cures the tear problem. Any thoughts on this, and why would you have to do this? OK, back to my original question. I shot a group of field points at 20 yards, then a group of broadheads at the same distance. The broadheads impacted low, and to the left. Using the easton tuning guide, I adjusted the rest to the right just a bit, shot another group and the horizontal groups where now the same. I then tried to get the vertical groups on by adjusting the rest up just a bit ( I have a loop but the adjustment on the nap 3000 micro is easier), and what was happening is that as the broadhead groups came up to the same poi as where the field points were, the field point groups started climbing as well. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this, and what would you do? As a side note, when you spend your time paper tuning a bow(I know that this is not the final step as group tuning is needed), and you then start moving things around to get field points and broadheads impacting the same, are you likely to still be shooting bullet holes and are you defeating the original purpose? If you need more info on my set-up, let me know, but it seems this question could apply to most bow set-ups.Sorry so long, but I won't be able to count sheep tonight until I get some answeres>. Good luck, and aim for the boiler room. Bhunter32.