HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dang Female Hunters....there just...
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 06:31 AM
dmayer

Default RE: Dang Female Hunters....there just...

I've been hunting for 26 years and got my sister into it, and my two sister-n-laws into it as well. My sister still hunts with her husband and their family, and my sister-n-laws gave it up a long time ago.

I heard the guys come back from their day of hunting telling these exciting stories. It sounded like so much fun, that I had to try it. I told my husband to buy me a cheap gun in case I didn't like it. The gun (back then) only cost about $69.00, and I got it from K-Mart. It was just a little hinge action single shot. I took the hunting courses that were required, and I started reading magazines, and books galore. I fell in love with the sport. I was out everyday learning the terrain, and about the animals I hunted. I've slowed down quite a bit over the years, but I still go out whenever I'm feeling pretty good. I don't have any other women to hunt with around here, and that's too bad, but I can go out to "womenhunters.com" and feel right at home.

I hunt in NY State with bow (Bowtech BlackHawk, and Parker Challenger), and gun (Rem. 870 youth model with rifled sights), or with my modified choke for most small game. I hunt for whitetail, turkey, and occasional small game such as grouse or squirrel. I shoot 3-D, and paper targets in leagues. Our bear season runs with with our deer season, but I don't know if I dare wack at one. We'll have to see when the time comes. I'd hate to get a bear ticked off at me.

I also like to fish, and just started flyfishing a couple years ago. I'm proud to say my husband and I taught our boys to hunt and fish, and now they're teaching us stuff about the sports. They are avid sportsman who are excellent hunters, and fishermen. We're always encouraging more folks to get their kids into this wholesome sport.

One more addition....I've always gotten alot of respect from other hunters. Even when I was just starting out a long time ago and I was the only woman around they knew of that hunted.

DMayer