HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Got my first buck 5 minutes after the seaon opened.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:47 AM
SeaHunter

Default Got my first buck 5 minutes after the seaon opened.

This is the third deer season that I've gone hunting and I finally got my first deer. I was in my stand at 5:00am sharp and was looking forward to this years hunting season. At 5:45 I heard something come crashing through the palm shrubs. In the star light I could just tell it was a deer but I could not see if it had antlers. The next 20 minutes it walk around sniffing bushes and peeing next to the trail. While I was prying for daylight to hurry up and arrive I was squinting but could not make a positive id. Just about the time when I could have made a positive ID he disappeared into the bushes. About 5 minutes later when it was finally light enough to make a positive Id I had a doe walk by and I knew it was not the same deer because it was much smaller. Then the buck came back out of the bushes with his nose in the air looking for the doe that just went past. This time I could see it was a 4 pointer and I took the shot.

It had a lag that looked like it had been broken and healed

It also had one backward antler.

Now the past two days my buddys have teased me I shot a sick and dying deer that could not have run away if it had tried. Then I remind them that at least I shot one.