Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Got my first buck 5 minutes after the seaon opened. >

Got my first buck 5 minutes after the seaon opened.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got my first buck 5 minutes after the seaon opened.

Old 11-16-2004, 09:47 AM

Default Got my first buck 5 minutes after the seaon opened.

This is the third deer season that I've gone hunting and I finally got my first deer. I was in my stand at 5:00am sharp and was looking forward to this years hunting season. At 5:45 I heard something come crashing through the palm shrubs. In the star light I could just tell it was a deer but I could not see if it had antlers. The next 20 minutes it walk around sniffing bushes and peeing next to the trail. While I was prying for daylight to hurry up and arrive I was squinting but could not make a positive id. Just about the time when I could have made a positive ID he disappeared into the bushes. About 5 minutes later when it was finally light enough to make a positive Id I had a doe walk by and I knew it was not the same deer because it was much smaller. Then the buck came back out of the bushes with his nose in the air looking for the doe that just went past. This time I could see it was a 4 pointer and I took the shot.

It had a lag that looked like it had been broken and healed

It also had one backward antler.

Now the past two days my buddys have teased me I shot a sick and dying deer that could not have run away if it had tried. Then I remind them that at least I shot one.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Got my first buck 5 minutes after the seaon opened.

My first was 4 pointer. Thought it was an 8 pointer at least when I shot it. Didn't matter though. The first is always special. Yours has some uniquness to it and I guarantee your buddies wish they were you. Just mount the horns and watch how his body grows in size as you re-tell the story over the years
Old 11-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates, Captain hook deer
Old 11-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Now the past two days my buddys have teased me I shot a sick and dying deer that could not have run away if it had tried. Then I remind them that at least I shot one.
Any deer is a good deer as long as you do it legaly and ethicaly.

You did good.

It kinda looks like it might have been hit by a car or truck with the broke leg and backwards antler.

Good Luck in the futher

jrbsr
Old 11-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

way to go seahunter, nothing quite like the first one.....
Old 11-16-2004, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

Congrates, Captain hook deer

That's funny, It took a minute to sink in but but once I saw the hook on his hoof it cracked me up. We have just been calling him Clubby.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats
What did you shoot him with???
Old 11-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats,
Just FYI often when a buck has an injury on one side of his body the antler on the opposite side is malformed. Was this the case in your deer?
Old 11-16-2004, 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: KonaBoy

Congrats
What did you shoot him with???

A gun

I actually used a Savage .308 that I got 2 weeks ago. The bore sighting missed the paper at 25 yards. I pulled out the bolt and looked down the barrel and got it closer than the bore sighting did.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Talondale

Congrats,
Just FYI often when a buck has an injury on one side of his body the antler on the opposite side is malformed. Was this the case in your deer?
Yes and no. The antler on the opposite side was malformed but the antler with the spike on the wrong side was on the same side as broken leg.

Quick Reply: Got my first buck 5 minutes after the seaon opened.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.