HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - arrow weight v. speed for penetration
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Bigpapascout
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: arrow weight v. speed for penetration

Good post Paul

I think once you go over 75 pounds of draw weight on a bow it is just too much of an overload on the limbs Cam/'s, idler wheel, bushings, axles and the riser.
No matter how well built a bow may be there is such a thing as over kill and will really not produce no more speed or KE than a bow pulling less weight.

Jhalfhill
to answer youre question
I am shooting a Newberry B1 at 29" draw pulling 72 pounds shooting 260 grain Speed pro Max arrows and Speed Pro broad heads,
this is my primary hunting setup

now for ASA and IBO 3D tournaments I use a totally different setup due to the fact my hunting arrows are illegal due to the weight and the speed they produce

for 3d I shoot any where from 55 to 60 pounds and use the lightest arrow I can legally get away with in order to achieve the highest speed I can get from the bow to attain the flattest possible trakectory at variable yardages.

I can get away with using the Speed Pro arrows provided I stay within the 5 grain per pound rule.

however if it is a fun shoot whichis kinda shoot what you bring I will take the newberry and shoot the light arrows out of it.
I love to see the reaction of the fellas when I shoot that thing I always get the same reaction WOW HOW FAST IS THAT BOW SHOOTING!

OH BTW The Archery Pro LLC Newberry bows have an unconditonal lifetime warranty to the original owner this warranty includes shooting 3 grain per pound arrows