Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arrow weight v. speed for penetration >

arrow weight v. speed for penetration

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow weight v. speed for penetration

Old 11-03-2004, 10:33 PM

Default RE: arrow weight v. speed for penetration

ORIGINAL: Bigpapascout
My primary hunting rig shoots a 260 GN 9/32 dia arrowusing a 2" long with a 5/8" profile vane traveling 355 FPS 73 pounds energy off the string ,
at 60 yards is still carrying 59 foot pounds of KE and still traveling 319 feet per second and has only dropped 57 inches.
Holy **** what kind of bow are you shooting? My BowTech Samson is the fastest bow i could possibly find other than ones 90lb draw and higher. With an 80lb draw and with light arrows i was getting a max of about 320 fps. With my heavy arrows I'm using for hunting I'm getting 308 fps.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:19 AM

I bet even your light arrows were not 260 grns. That is extremely light for arrow weight unless you are shooting a lower poundage.

I have never really agreed with the 5 grns per pound rule myself. There are other factors to add in like draw length and weight on the string. Since I have a 26 inch draw and use puff balls and a peep site I think I could safely go lighter than that. My reasoning being my set up does not devolope as much evergy as a bow with 70 lbs of draw at 30 inches and a bare string. 5 grn per lb is pretty generic in my opinion. There is a minimum AMO weight chart on Bowjacksons web site that gives a better idea of what you could use with what set ups.

I have always figured that if your bow is designed to shoot a specific IBO speed, it should be able to handle the amount of energy it takes to get it there. Which means I believe I could safely go down on arrow weight until my arrows aproach the speed my bow is rated for (320 for my mighty might) and the bow should be able to handle it. However when you are talking about bows that draw higher like your samson, you should go the other way, unless the IBO spec listed was achieved with 80 lbs of draw.

I wouldn't suggest dropping arrow weight until you go higher than your rated speed. However most bows are built to handle more than what they say and Bigpapa knows this so he is willing to take that risk. It is his bow and he can do what he wants with it. As long he takes care of the bow and looks it over often I bet it will be fine especially if he is using some limb saver products and good string silencers. I personally have never shot arrows under 300 grns even at 50 lbs and 26 inches of draw. While I doubt a bow will explode using light arrows, it sure isn't good for them in the long term. Not too good on the strings either, you should replace them more often with lighter arrows. And most that use really light arrows don't keep thier bows very long either. They are constantly upgrading equipment and the such so they are not overly concerened with the long term effects on the bow.

I'm not slamming on you or any thing, but may I ask why you wanted a bow that can draw from 80 to 100 lbs? The IBO speed is only 10 fps faster than my mighty might? You could have got a Black Knight that would be faster but with less draw weight. Like I said, I'm not trying to start anything, I have just always wondered about that when I looked at the line up.

These are just my opinions and not stating anything as fact or saying anyone is wrong. It is just my take on the subject.

Paul
Old 11-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post Paul

I think once you go over 75 pounds of draw weight on a bow it is just too much of an overload on the limbs Cam/'s, idler wheel, bushings, axles and the riser.
No matter how well built a bow may be there is such a thing as over kill and will really not produce no more speed or KE than a bow pulling less weight.

Jhalfhill
to answer youre question
I am shooting a Newberry B1 at 29" draw pulling 72 pounds shooting 260 grain Speed pro Max arrows and Speed Pro broad heads,
this is my primary hunting setup

now for ASA and IBO 3D tournaments I use a totally different setup due to the fact my hunting arrows are illegal due to the weight and the speed they produce

for 3d I shoot any where from 55 to 60 pounds and use the lightest arrow I can legally get away with in order to achieve the highest speed I can get from the bow to attain the flattest possible trakectory at variable yardages.

I can get away with using the Speed Pro arrows provided I stay within the 5 grain per pound rule.

however if it is a fun shoot whichis kinda shoot what you bring I will take the newberry and shoot the light arrows out of it.
I love to see the reaction of the fellas when I shoot that thing I always get the same reaction WOW HOW FAST IS THAT BOW SHOOTING!

OH BTW The Archery Pro LLC Newberry bows have an unconditonal lifetime warranty to the original owner this warranty includes shooting 3 grain per pound arrows