HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ATTN: Shotgun Hunters
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 09:26 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default RE: ATTN: Shotgun Hunters

I'll keep it as short as possible. Your original post said nothin about a borrowed shotgun and I don't know what the people who got bent out of shape were talking about. Someone else said something about two balls??? 00 buck 2 3/4 inch has 9 .32 caliber pellets of lead. 3 inch 00 buck has 15 .32 lead pellets. If the guy is familiar with the function of his shotgun at all he should have a pretty good chance of hitting his target out to 50 yards. A well aimed shot from a 12 guage at 50 yards would normally place several pellets in the deer. You aim for chest. Yeah there's some spread and you might have some meat loss but not as much as you might imagine. I havn't owned a hunting shotgun for years but since I live in a shotgun ownly county I sometimes take my mossberg 590 MilSpec shotgun out in the same area where I usually bow hunt. I figure if it comes within 30 yards It's mine. I coulid actually take a shot at 50 yards with a reasonable expectation of success but I like to be sure. Ok, I said I'd keep it short and I didn't . Take the guy out hunting. If you get a chance give him some pointers on ethics, etc. You have an opportunity to make a profound impact on the way this guy hunts in the future. For as long as he hunts, he will be thinking back to the things you tell and teach him. And what you teach him could be passed down to some other hunter in the future.

David