HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bore Butter causes rust??
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 03:22 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bore Butter causes rust??

M.A.P. is a home made bore cleaner. It is a mixture of Murphy's Oil Soap, Isopropyl Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide in equal parts (actually I use a little less of the murphy's oil soap and more of the alcohol). This will really cut through the crud and fowling but you have to be careful when you use map. Be sure and wash the barrel out good with very hot soapy water, run some alcohol patches to displace any water on the metal and then oil all parts of the rifle with a very high quality gun oil such as Birchwood Casey Sheath or REM OIL with teflon.

The reason is the hydrogen peroxide as anyone who ever treated a cut finger with it knows, it has a bubbling action as it cleans. And it does in deed attack the grime, but it also attacks the metal. If you fail to oil the rifle it will be rusted within a few hours.

I keep a small bottle of it for soaking the breech plug, nipple and striker from the inline in while cleaning the barrel. Since they are stainess steel the MAP will clean the grime off them while I clean the barrel. Then all I have to do is wipe them down and re-oil them before replacing them in the rifle.

MAP is also good for when you have a barrel full of crud. Plug the breech or nipple port and pour that into the barrel and work it around. It will bubble all the crud out of the pores in the metal and rifling and get the barrel back to a very clean state. After that I hot soap and water the barrel and then solvent patch it, and of course oil the thing real well....