HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bore Butter causes rust??
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Triple Se7en
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bore Butter causes rust??

Criggster

You misunderstood poster Cayugad & you misinterpreted what he said. This is what he said... "I have seen too many rifles rust using bore butter."

What Cayugad means is that Bore Butter/Wonderlube 1000 cannot displace moisture. So far, your barrel-drying techniques have been working real well. However, some butter users leave traces of water/moisture in their rifling & apply the butter... thinking it will protect the bore for the winter months. What happens is the butter cannot/does not displace moisture.... it rides right over the water sitting in the rifling channels & rust develops there over time.

If used properly & so far you have, Bore Butter/Wonderlube has protected miles of bores over the years even though it says right on the tube it is a bore rust inhibitor. Inhibit means to discourage.... that doesn't stop anything really. That's like saying I discourage you from voting for George Dubya Bush for President. That certainly isn't going to stop you from voting for him. So.. should you by chance make one lousy mistake with it while applying it to your bore after cleaning & you will pay dearly.... oops... I mean pay by means of rust.

Buy "gun oils"... not the cheap ones either. Buy ones that say they are "rust preventers". Good ones are Birchwood Casey Sheath, Breakfree CLP, Rem-Oil with Teflon... etc... according to their labels. After you are done cleaning, run a nice damp rubbing alcohol patch to remove the leftover moisture... then a couple of dry patches. Then run two oil patches. All this should be done with a bore brush because brushes reach into places jags don't.