HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A Tribute To The American Indian
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 02:16 AM
BOWFANATIC
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A Tribute To The American Indian

My response was two the second post, not the original. My barells are still blazing.
O.K. But it seems you've based your opinions of the original American Indians on some of the techniques the indians of your area used. Kind of like me basing my opinion on the state of Wisconsin by what I see in Milwaukee.[&:]

Since your so concerned with this issue, why don't you tell me and the rest of the board what your 20 years of study of your heritage has inspired you to do for the current state of affairs with reguard to reserevation life?
Fair enough , I've worked with tribal leaders to setup an alchohol awareness program for the elementary schools. An alchohol recovery program for the reservation. I was a voice (peon) at local tribal meetings concerning game management which has been enacted since. All of the above is done with tribal money. The Menominee nation is a sovereign nation wich excludes us from federal funding.
Alchoholism is still a big problem but by educating the youth it will get better. The Menominee nation now has game laws which regulate the amount of fish and game taken. Deerhunting by use of spotlight is now illegal. I could go on.

Does todays hunting "ethics" by indians offer any insight to "ethics" of indian hunters 200 years ago? These are all important questions that you need to ask yourself, and enlighten us on the answers you obtain.
The exact questions you've asked were asked by many at the tribal meetings leading up to the changes that were made. The most common answer was that of rebellion , "they took our land , they wont control the animals on the land we have left". Fortunately the majority had seen that there wont be any animals left if they dont make a change. I believe you will see more of the same across the country.