HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats wrong with my setup?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 07:48 PM
mjqood0

Default RE: Whats wrong with my setup?

At first glance, I wonder if it's a form issue on your part. I don't want to point fingers, but I learned long ago that a machine is only as good as the user. That being said, are you gripping the bow too tightly? When you release, does your bow rock forward in your hand (not a bad thing) or does it torque (twist in your hand -- bad)? Also, if you're shooting a release, does it have a swivel head so that you are sure it is releasing the string cleanly with no sideways "plucking" or anything? Last but not least (in fact, most important in all likelyhood) is the problem of consistant anchor. Do you have a peep sight or kisser button you always draw to? If not, this could be a MAJOR headache and cause the problems you are seeing.

If you cover these bases first and your groups don't improve, I'd take the bow to a real shop (i've had a really bad time with Gander Mtn... My wifes bow we bought there was all screwed up... cables on wrong side of cable guard, rest aligned wrong...). Any reputable shop will check centershot of your rest for around $10 or even for free depending on who you get there. Most shops also have a range and can watch you shoot and tell you any problems they see. You may pay a little, but it would be much better than getting frustruated with your bow and giving up on this sport.

Any new bow these days should be capable of shooting 3 inch groups at 20 yards. I'm sure a good shop can get you on the right track.

Good luck!!!