HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ALWAYS USE YOUR FULL BODY HARNESS, EVEN WHEN CLIMBING!!
Old 10-10-2004, 07:13 AM
vc1111
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ALWAYS USE YOUR FULL BODY HARNESS, EVEN WHEN CLIMBING!!

Good advice about using a climber-type stand. Here's some good advice for your fixed-position stands:

For the last 3 years I've written and posted information on this board about a very simple system of safety for any fixed-position stand. It involves the use of a device called an "ascender" and a piece of rope tied above your treestand and again at the base of the tree about waist high.

It is a remarkable system (and extremely simple to use) which my son showed me one day as I was precariously climbing down after hanging a tree stand. My son is an experienced rock climbing fanatic and a devout gadget freak like me. He immediately explained how to eliminate the risk of falling while using fixed position stands.

I have this device on all my fixed-position stands...ALL of them. When used properly it is impossible to fall to the ground from a treestand, while climbing up, hunting, or climbing down...let me say that again...it is IMPOSSIBLE to fall to the ground. You are tethered from the moment you start up the tree until you have both feet back on the ground once again.

As you might imagine, most falls occur while climbing into or down from your fixed-position stand. The used of a piece of climbing rope (which stretches just a little if you fall...absorbs the shock) and an ascender are something that every fixed-position tree stand hunter should use.

ALL of my buddies that have seen this system are now using it for their fixed-position stands.