HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My broadhead test- Muzzy 3 & 4, Spitfire
Old 10-06-2004, 07:37 AM
RacHunter
Fork Horn

Default My broadhead test- Muzzy 3 & 4, Spitfire

I have be trying to figure out what broadhead to shoot this year and I narrowed it down to 3 choices: Muzzy 3 blade, Muzzy 4 blade and the Spitfire XP all in 100 grain.

I know all of these broadheads are very good, I have killed several deer and bear and caribou with the Muzzy 3 blade. I was on a bear hunt this spring and most of the guys were using the Spitfire XP's. I was very impressed with their performance but I was worried that I was not shooting enough energy with my set up to use them so I decided to do a little test for myself.

All three of the broadheads tested were brand new with new blades and were shot into a brand new Yellow Jacket target.

The test bow is my trusty MQ1 set on 60 pounds with 29 inch draw, a MZE rest and shooting a XX78 2314 27.5 inch arrow with full helical vanes.

Each broadhead was shot into a new spot on the target with the same arrow, 8 shots from 20 yards and 8 shots at 30 yards. My main concern was penetrations. Below are the total penetration averages for each head.

Muzzy 3 Blade 100 grain - 13"
Muzzy 4 Blade 100 grain - 12.5"
Spitfire XP 100 grain - 11.25"

As far as accurcy is concerned the Spitfire XP and the Muzzy 4 seemed equal to me with the Muzzy 3 being close behind.

I expected the Muzzy's to penetrate better than the Spitfire because of the smaller diamater but I was surprised that the Muzzy 3 blade penetrated better than the 4 blade.

Also the Spitfire does not seem to like foam targets, afters a few shots the retaining clips would bend and I had to keep replacing them.

I would highly reccommend the Yellow Jacket target it stops arrows very well and the arrows are easy to remove..........time will tell how long it will last.