HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rattling in areas with low buck/doe ratios?? (Northeast)
Old 10-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Rick James
Nontypical Buck

Default Rattling in areas with low buck/doe ratios?? (Northeast)

Well as some of you know, I tagged my Vermont doe on Sunday. I am now faced with the task of filling my Vermont archery buck tag, not an easy task in this area with the low percentage of bucks to does in Vermont. In my experience, I had success with rattling in the last week of October in PA, but I was hunting on my fathers land with was managed VERY well for buck/doe populations and had a ratio of approx 1 buck to every 4 does. In Vermont I am assuming it is more like 1 buck to every 10 does, and 90% of the bucks here are yearlings. I have the entire week of Oct. 10th to hunt as I am between jobs starting this Thursday, and don't start my new one till 10/18 (how convenient ).

What kind of success have people had in areas with similar buck/doe ratios, and has anyone had success in the northeast as early as the middle of October? Have any of you had luck in rattling in younger bucks in areas like this rattling at that time of year? Any other ideas you might have for bagging a buck during this week?

I can't wait till next season, I am moving just north of Albany, NY for my new job and hopefully will be able to get permission to hunt that area as well for archery, then I will be able to bowhunt VT, NY, and PA.