HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any 04 Patriot, Dropzone, Fixed blade shooters out there?
Old 10-03-2004, 01:18 PM
DaveC
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any 04 Patriot, Dropzone, Fixed blade shooters out there?

Lets see-
1. 4" duravanes w/ the amount of helical an Arizona E-Z fletch provides.
2. TRU-ball tornado
3. Snug enough not to slide down, but not so tight they won't easily "pop off" when I flick the string with my finger.

All of these components were adequate with my Mighty-mite although I did go down 1/2" in draw length and cut my arrows down 1" (from the back) to compensate for the weak spine reaction bare shaft shooting was giving me. Little did I know this bow kicks any arrow sideways upon departure.

With the slick tricks and stingers the arrows fly straight and true (which is why I'm leaning towards using them). I like what the slick trick website has to say about straight flying arrows and their broadheads doing so = better penetration. Sounds basic, but the way they put it makes a lot of sense.
With the Muzzy 3 blades I can sometimes see an in flight wobble and correction. The arrows tail left after leaving the bow is being corrected and I guess the muzzy 3's catch more wind sideways at launch and take longer to stabilize since they are trying to steer the arrow. IMHO

I did get ONE muzzy phantom mated with a blazer vaned beman 340 to hit ~1.5" groups at 30. I thought the blazers might be the answer so I fletched up another arrow with tem and no-dice.

5" hard helical arrows may be the answer for further distant accuracy, but I've never been one to shoot past 35 yards. My east Texas lease is nothing but thick piney woods (close range) and the deer are so wired any shot attempt past 25 and they usually get out of the way before the arrow arrives. (I had one doe do an inside out back flip at 12 yards 2 years ago!- it worked for her)
Fieldtip accuracy is still good, not too many arrow slappers at 30- but they do happen.
I do have 2 southwest Texas hunts booked for December and hopefully I'll get this issue solved before then. Even so 30 is all I care to shoot.
BTW from what I'm reading, Slick tricks aren’t too shabby!

Right now I'm gonna concentrate on this creak as it's still persistant. Maybe it is the cable rod, I'll recommend THEY(pro-shop guys) look into that first. They have two fancy VFT presses so I'll let them taker down.

Time to pack for my trip, I'll report back when I return (Tuesday- Wednesday)