HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bucks bedding area?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 08:33 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bucks bedding area?

eddie, scouting is the only way to determine feed, water, transition and bedding areas. Since you have a game camera and pics of the buck in question I assume you know something about his routine. Dependant on where this game camera is located one can backtrack or foretrack to get the info your looking for. Scout the area looking for the mainstays of food, water and cover, keep in mind does for the upcoming rut. Once you locate probable feeding and cover areas start sitting and glassing trying to pin point his route/s. Unless you have a good couple months till season I wouldn't be venturing to close to his bedding areas, I certainly would slowly work his transition route areas (area of travel from bed and breakfeast) for possible location to hunt him from. As the rut progress then I would get more agressive towards where he hangs his hat! If you have found old rubs then you shouldn't be far off, while they may transition slightly a dominant buck has no need to leave an area he is been successful with the ladies, the added bonus is he will reel in other cruising bucks so you just never know when rut is humming what may come strolling by.

Best of luck