Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bucks bedding area?

Old 09-29-2004, 05:38 PM

Default bucks bedding area?

anybody got any tips on how to find where bucks are bedding at and where they are feeding.ive got a few nice pics of a beauty of an 8 point(ill post pics later)on my stealth.havent yet found any of this years rubs but a few from last.havent really hunted this area before so i dont know how the deer use the land.anyways does anyone have any tips on how i can find this deers bedding/feeding area.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bucks bedding area?

eddie, scouting is the only way to determine feed, water, transition and bedding areas. Since you have a game camera and pics of the buck in question I assume you know something about his routine. Dependant on where this game camera is located one can backtrack or foretrack to get the info your looking for. Scout the area looking for the mainstays of food, water and cover, keep in mind does for the upcoming rut. Once you locate probable feeding and cover areas start sitting and glassing trying to pin point his route/s. Unless you have a good couple months till season I wouldn't be venturing to close to his bedding areas, I certainly would slowly work his transition route areas (area of travel from bed and breakfeast) for possible location to hunt him from. As the rut progress then I would get more agressive towards where he hangs his hat! If you have found old rubs then you shouldn't be far off, while they may transition slightly a dominant buck has no need to leave an area he is been successful with the ladies, the added bonus is he will reel in other cruising bucks so you just never know when rut is humming what may come strolling by.

Best of luck
Old 09-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, your in a tuff spot, i said tuff not impossible, you have to do the leg work. A buck can bed anywhere, there is no set place. A buck might like a place till he is spooked, then he will move. I would get a topo and arial photo and look for funnels, and focus on them other than his bedroom.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:37 PM

a mature buck is one of the toughest animals in north america to pinpoint. i scout the area i hunt all year round (it's right down the road). i've been hunting the same deer for three years and haven't been able to really figure him out. i know where he beds (sometimes) and i know where he feeds (sometimes). but if it were easy, it wouldn't be near as much fun!!!!