HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Don't shoot dogs!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 03:29 PM
hornbow

Default RE: Don't shoot dogs!!!

ORIGINAL: Koontzy

I dont like the way you say that....My and my borther hada beagle that we were training for rabbits, and we jumped a deer, and this was during deer season, since the pup didnt know what he was doing he chased the deer...we saw the pup leave our sight and heard a gun go off... some hunter had shot our puppy, luckily he was using buckshot which btw was illegal for deer in Indiana, and the pup got hurt, but still lived... whenwe caught up and saw the guy about to pop my puppy in the head I stabbed the guy in the leg with my knife as my brother knocked his lights out, my brother ran back to our house with dog in hand and called 911 and had my dad take our dog to the vet.. when the cops arrived in the woods I had the guy down with his own gun aimed at him..Long story short he wasnt allowed to purchase another firearm in the state of Indiana, got a $500 dollar fine for shootign my dog, and 5 months in jail for using the buckshot.. so think before ya shoot, because sometimes it might be a young kid trying to train his dog for something else..
ORIGINAL: gutshot

Sorry guys I know that I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this but if I catch a dog chasing deer through my neck of the woods I'll down it in a heart beat. I have no problem with squirrel dogs, bird dogs, rabbit dogs or any other hunting dog but in WV it's illegal to run deer with a dog so shame on thier butt if they are chasing deer around me.
Glad your pup made it. Buckshot is illegal in Indiana?? I have never heard of that one before.

I guess it depends on the state in large part as to whether it is tolerated or not to shoot free roaming dogs in the woods. In many states, it is illegal and you will pay a large price if caught killing someone else's dog and in some states, it is not only tolerated, it is pretty much expected. I know for a fact that if what you describe had happened in Maine, the guy not only would not have gotten in trouble, you would probably have been arrested for assaulting him. Your pup was caught red-handed (red-pawed?) chasing a deer; not just roaming around innocently. That would have justified the other guy's shooting of him in the eyes of the law. It just depends on the state I guess.