HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CHIGGERS!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2004, 12:12 PM
dino195

Default RE: CHIGGERS!!!!!!

I just moved to Oklahoma a couple of years ago and had the same thing happen to me while riding my 3 wheeler last summer. I have had chiggars before but I have never seen them as bad as they are here (they seem to leave much bigger bites and they are more plentiful). I did not even stick my big toe in any fields this summer, I just stuck to fishing in the lake for entertainment. When I started setting up my tree stands and cutting shooting lanes to get ready for the season a couple of weeks ago, I would go out to the barn in my shorts, take off my watch, and spray down completely with deets on my bare skin. Then I would spray down my camo shirt and pants after I put them on. Then I would spray down my socks. Then, when I put my boots on, I would spray down in them and up my ankle and legs and all around the tops of my boots. Finally I would spray my hat and spray a little in my hands to rub onto my face and neck. I know this probably sounds extreme and you will go through a lot of deets like this but so far it has worked pretty good. It worked great the first 2 days, then on the 3rd day I spent about 6 hours in the field without reapplying the OFF and I got a few bites, still it's better than the misery of being covered with bites.