HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - speed questions
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 05:06 AM
Pinwheel 12
Typical Buck

Default RE: speed questions

I just set one up for a customer and at 26" draw and 60lbs using a 330 gr carbon he is reading 226fps. Different doo dads, and drawlength, but he is very happy with his setup because he can put an arrow quietly into the spot with no surprises time and time again. He is brimming with confidence.

Gaining speed is not a necessity especially if you have a rangefinder or pace distances, but remaining quiet and delivering acceptable KE is. Without making your setup unshootable you can still lighten up your arrow quite a bit and still maintain acceptable KE. You can also as others and yourself have stated "lose the tube". I would also can the leeches as they are extremely heavy and slow a bow down a bunch even when positioned properly due to their mass. I personally split a single cat whisker and then install them on each end of my bow---all I need for string noise.

I also wouldn't dump the nokset, tho you can swap for a tied in one. With a nokset (or two, one above and below the arrow) if you ever rip thru a loop in the field you can have one back on the bow in less than a minute and not lose tune. Without one, you are done. I always carry a spare in my possibles bag.

Some things are neccessary, others are not. Keep the bow as quiet as possible for hunting, and buy a rangefinder to make up any confidence lost from the thought of needing more speed. Put the arrow where it needs to go, and the rest will fall into place. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12