HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - whats your best advice for a beginner
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 11:36 AM
ButchA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: whats your best advice for a beginner

ORIGINAL: Stalker22
You just opened a can of worms. lol
LOL!!

I'm going get a keg, fire up the grill, and put on some burgers and hotdogs. We're gonna have a party on this thread now! EVERYBODY is going to reply with ideas, suggestions, tips, etc... to help a beginner. [8D]

My advice: for starters, keep your distances short. Start shooting at around 10 yards. Concentrate on your form and accuracy. Do NOT move out to 20 yards, until you have the consistency to hit the bullseye repeatedly at 10.

There are way to many variables with shooting a bow which makes everyone and every bow personal and unique. The ultimate thing that helped me with accuracy was getting a peep sight installed. Some people like kisser buttons, other like no peep sights or kissers. Some like whisker biscut rests, others like drop away rests, others (like me) like the simple, basic, TM Hunter prong type of rest.

The main thing is, once you have your bow setup how you want it, keep shooting and shooting and shooting. You will discover what works for you and what doesn't. What is comfortable, and what is not. But I think the most important piece of advice is one simple word:

PRACTICE!!!

Granted there is tons of stuff that I don't know and when in doubt, I'll ask it on here. There are dozens of guys way better than me who have been shooting bows decades longer than me. I started out shooting an old PSE bow at 10 yards and slowly got my form down, then moved back to 20, then 30, etc... I have Tru-Glo 3 pin sights set at 20,30,40 yards and use a peep sight. I shoot my bow almost every day after work and continue to practice. Shooting a bow is very addicting!

Good luck to you!

Butch A.

P.S. You want a cheeseburger, hamburger, or hotdog?