Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats your best advice for a beginner >

whats your best advice for a beginner

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats your best advice for a beginner

Old 09-02-2004, 11:12 AM

Default whats your best advice for a beginner

Ok guys I am new to bow hunting and shooting a bow and I was just wondering what everyones best advice for someone just starting out like me would be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know a pretty good amount for a beginner. But there may be some stuff I dont know or somthing I should focus on more. thanks guys.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:19 AM

Default RE: whats your best advice for a beginner

You just opened a can of worms. lol

If I had to pick one main piece of advice that I wish someone had told me before I started it would be......hmmmmmm
When you buy or add something to your set up make sure your buying what you want and it's the best you can get. It will save you from buying a ton of the same item just trying to decide if it's good enough. You can waste a lot of money that way. For example if you buying a new sight. Check them all out in person not in a magazine. Look through them and then decide. Don't just buy one cause it looks good. You'll just end up wanting something better.
That and practice religiously.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:22 AM

I've learned a ton just from reading everything I see here every day, and talking to people at the local pro shops. I've hung around during league shoots to see others form, euipment, and ask questions. I'm not in a position to offer tips since this is my first season also, but good luck.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Practice Practice and practice also realize that you are a beginner and it's not going to come to you overnight. Oh yeah did I mention PRACTICE.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:32 AM

got the practice part down. i love practice. I think i chose the best hobby in the world when i decided to pick up a bow. now if my fiance would just let me practice more. thanks guys i want to hear more still
Old 09-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Stalker22
You just opened a can of worms. lol
LOL!!

I'm going get a keg, fire up the grill, and put on some burgers and hotdogs. We're gonna have a party on this thread now! EVERYBODY is going to reply with ideas, suggestions, tips, etc... to help a beginner. [8D]

My advice: for starters, keep your distances short. Start shooting at around 10 yards. Concentrate on your form and accuracy. Do NOT move out to 20 yards, until you have the consistency to hit the bullseye repeatedly at 10.

There are way to many variables with shooting a bow which makes everyone and every bow personal and unique. The ultimate thing that helped me with accuracy was getting a peep sight installed. Some people like kisser buttons, other like no peep sights or kissers. Some like whisker biscut rests, others like drop away rests, others (like me) like the simple, basic, TM Hunter prong type of rest.

The main thing is, once you have your bow setup how you want it, keep shooting and shooting and shooting. You will discover what works for you and what doesn't. What is comfortable, and what is not. But I think the most important piece of advice is one simple word:

PRACTICE!!!

Granted there is tons of stuff that I don't know and when in doubt, I'll ask it on here. There are dozens of guys way better than me who have been shooting bows decades longer than me. I started out shooting an old PSE bow at 10 yards and slowly got my form down, then moved back to 20, then 30, etc... I have Tru-Glo 3 pin sights set at 20,30,40 yards and use a peep sight. I shoot my bow almost every day after work and continue to practice. Shooting a bow is very addicting!

Good luck to you!

Butch A.

P.S. You want a cheeseburger, hamburger, or hotdog?
Old 09-02-2004, 11:45 AM

Perseverance. Never give up. Don't quit. Stick with it. Remember, it's ok to get aggravated, but don't quit.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think i chose the best hobby in the world when i decided to pick up a bow
Woaw there bud.

this ain't no hobby, this bow hunting is an obsession
Old 09-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion is practice related. In my opinion you need to vary your practice. Shooting from level ground at measured distances is a great way to get started. However in the woods things will be different. Especially from a tree stand. Angles, yardages, etc. all change and will give you a headache if you're not prepared for it. Try to mix up your practices with some more realistic shooting situations.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion is practice related. In my opinion you need to vary your practice. Shooting from level ground at measured distances is a great way to get started. However in the woods things will be different. Especially from a tree stand. Angles, yardages, etc. all change and will give you a headache if you're not prepared for it. Try to mix up your practices with some more realistic shooting situations.

Quick Reply: whats your best advice for a beginner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.