HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever miss a Monster up close?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 05:21 AM
Fieldmouse
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ever miss a Monster up close?

Last year I had to watch a huge 8 point walk right buy. He He was very simular to Rack's buck. I screwed up and thought it was early enough in the evening so I decided to shoot a 10point that was big but I knew I wouldn't get mounted. He had a very nice rack but was still shy of being huge. When I pulled back back on the 10 point the other deer below must of sensed something because they all just froze. I held at full draw as long as I could before I had to release it back down. When I did get the shot off about 4' away it took a sharp dive into the ground. I still don't know what it hit. I wasn't that upset since I wouldn't have gotten him mounted. 20 mins later here comes that 8 point. I was worn out. All I could do was watch him walk by. I kick myself because I knew better but I got greedy.

I did get to see him and a bigger 10 point everytime out but I never got either within bow range. A freind of mine had the 8 point below him but let him walk since he already shot a 10 point earlier.

Moral of the story, if your hunting for a wall hanger then don't waste the energy if you know your not going to mount it.