Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ever miss a Monster up close? >

Ever miss a Monster up close?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever miss a Monster up close?

Old 08-26-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Ever miss a Monster up close?

2 years ago I was hunting in southern Illinois. Very cold morning the last weekend before gun season. Sat from 5 till 10 and saw nothing. I was hunting the edge of a thicket right on a setaside field. Had my bow hangin on my EZ hanger and I was standing up takin one more look over my shoulder before I got down. When I turned around there was a huge buck walking the edge of the field comin right too me. It all happened so fast. He had his nose to the ground so I was able to grab my bow. He stopped right about 20 yards from me and looked straight in my direction. I was already drawn at this point. I did somethin I've always known not to do. I looked at the rack right before I shot and I got excited. I didn't hold a little low and I hurried the shot. I took a little piece of flesh off the top of his back. That's the worst feeling seein that huge buck you dream about bounce across a field. Just wondered if there are any " what might have beens " out there like mine. Happy Hunting ------- > CH
Old 08-26-2004, 08:39 PM

Default RE: Ever miss a Monster up close?

No not yet, but I hope I even get the chance to take a great trophy this year.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:46 PM

does a bear pooh in the woods and why you got to bring this memory back I lost many nights of sleep over big misses...

Hood
Old 08-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

not during bow season had a nice ten come in with eight does during shotgun season last year never got a shot at him though
Old 08-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I blew it last year on the biggest buck I had ever seen. Turns out my buddy blew it on the same deer during gun season. Hes still running around out there.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Fork Horn

I missed a 145 class 9 point two years ago on a Friday afternoon hunt. Shot right under him. That same weekend on my Sunday morning hunt I missed a 150 class 8 point. Shot right over his back. Needless to say, it was a bad, bad weekend for me.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 years ago, tha biggest rack I have ever seen. 2 weeks in a row I got glimpses of him and finally the last weekend of archery season I was in my stand, actually I had just gotten my stand and all my equipment back up the tree after a meal break at the truck. Well, I had made so much noise I thought I'd smoke. I was blowing the first drag when I heard a sound. I looked DOWN and saw the deer about 10 feet from my tree. Bow layinb in my lap, arrow in the quiver.
It was more than 10 points, but I don't know how many there were. I never try to look at the rack. After speaking to other people who hunt this area I have come to the conclusion that this deer was anywhere from 10 - 18 points, and 130 - 200 pounds. Some people have a tendency to exagerate as there are no 200 pound deer in this section of Florida, so I don't really beleive it had more than 14 points either.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:15 AM

yep last year missed a nice 160 to 170 class 10 point becasue of 1 tiny lil twig that i didnt see thought i was gonna be sick right there in the stand.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Last year I had to watch a huge 8 point walk right buy. He He was very simular to Rack's buck. I screwed up and thought it was early enough in the evening so I decided to shoot a 10point that was big but I knew I wouldn't get mounted. He had a very nice rack but was still shy of being huge. When I pulled back back on the 10 point the other deer below must of sensed something because they all just froze. I held at full draw as long as I could before I had to release it back down. When I did get the shot off about 4' away it took a sharp dive into the ground. I still don't know what it hit. I wasn't that upset since I wouldn't have gotten him mounted. 20 mins later here comes that 8 point. I was worn out. All I could do was watch him walk by. I kick myself because I knew better but I got greedy.

I did get to see him and a bigger 10 point everytime out but I never got either within bow range. A freind of mine had the 8 point below him but let him walk since he already shot a 10 point earlier.

Moral of the story, if your hunting for a wall hanger then don't waste the energy if you know your not going to mount it.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well.........I still shudder to think about it I missed one of the biggest bucks I ever rattled into bow range about 4 years ago. He was a 150 class deer and his G2's were somewhere in the neighborhood of 12". He came in behind me, thrashed a bush around and began pawing the ground. All this while I spun into position for the shot. I drew, placed my 20 yarder on him and let if go. Soon after the arrow left the bow, I heard it whack off of a limb and stick in the ground on the other side of the buck. He just stood there, dumbfounded for a minute. I tried to get another arrow, but my quiver decided to fall off the hook and hit the ground under my stand.

The rest was nothing but big horns and tail.

Quick Reply: Ever miss a Monster up close?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.