HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What you believe is commonly overlooked when tuning or troubleshooting.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: What you believe is commonly overlooked when tuning or troubleshooting.

On the mechanical side I would say fletch contact is one of the biggest problems people have with tuning. Or just not having the rest set up correctly to begin with. I would say nock alignment is more overlooked than nock fit.

I however agree with nub all the way. I believe the biggest thing people over look is how well they shoot to begin with. Form and grip play a huge role in tuning a bow. If you can't grip the bow consistantly from shot to shot, how do you expect it to tune consistanly? Many people have the misconception that if they can't get thier arrows to group the bow must be out of tune. It can't be them! Well I don't mean to whiz in your breakfast cereal, but an out of tune bow will group arrows. I've done it and seen others do it as well. The honest to God truth is if you can't group arrows at 20 yards you either are not doing things the same way every time, or you can't hold steady enough to do it.

Sure, tuning a bow will help it be more forgiving, but it isn't going to magically shrink your 3 inch groups into having 3 arrows touching everytime. If it does I believe it was more in your head than anything.

I think another thing people miss or don't do when tuning is number thier arrows. If you take a systematic aproach to tuning, it's pretty hard to miss things. If nock fit was an issue and you had your arrows numbered, it would show up as an arrow problem, not a tuning problem. If you have the same one or two arrows missing the mark everytime it's time to start looking over the arrow. Not tweaking on the bow. Either nock fit, alignment, weight or spine. Or a damaged or warped arrow possibly.

Paul