Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What you believe is commonly overlooked when tuning or troubleshooting. >

What you believe is commonly overlooked when tuning or troubleshooting.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What you believe is commonly overlooked when tuning or troubleshooting.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:06 PM

Default What you believe is commonly overlooked when tuning or troubleshooting.

Correct nock to string fit:

I would consider proper nock to string fit to be a commonly overlooked or ignored tuning or troubleshooting consideration.

Arrow nocks that are too tight-fitting or too loose-fitting on string WILL cause grouping and accuracy problems, more than some know or believe. Incorrect nock fit WILL affect the vertical and horizontal flight/impact, but the problem is too commonly believed to be the result of other more popular causes.

As your string wears or you install a new string, especially if the string has more or less strands than what was previously on the bow, you need to check your nock fit and readjust the fit as required.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What you believe is commonly overlooked when tuning or troubleshooting.

I'd say nock fit is definitely one of the most common things overlooked.

Running a close second is tiller. Smart shooters get their tiller properly set and let the poundage fall where it may. They know a bow that's maxed out is not necessarily going to shoot it's best or fastest. They also know a bow that is properly adjusted is going to be easier to tune, will stay in tune better, will be more comfortable to shoot and will give it's very best accuracy.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What you believe is commonly overlooked when tuning or troubleshooting.

I would consider proper nock to string fit to be a commonly overlooked or ignored tuning or troubleshooting consideration.
Absolutely! Especially with todays speed demons.

I carry a minimum of roughly 3 dozen nocks of various colors for my carbons in my bow case so I can replace one quick and easy anytime during practice. It also gives me satisfaction to pull one out when I see someone bust a nock at the range and fix them up in a hurry.
It isn't as quick and easy when I shoot my aluminums but I still check them and replace them often.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats why I like the magnock system.

The only unfortunate thing is they do not make them yet to fit my current arrows.
But as soon as they do I will be going back to the Magnocks.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

1 Underspined
2 Not enough fletch
3 Improper draw length
Old 08-26-2004, 09:28 AM
nub

Personally, I believe some people just can't believe they don't have a repeatable shot sequence. They give ya that old, "been shooting for 30 years" line. [] But nock fit is important.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

So is there a proper procedure for checking nock fit? Or are you just going by the feel?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:17 AM

On the mechanical side I would say fletch contact is one of the biggest problems people have with tuning. Or just not having the rest set up correctly to begin with. I would say nock alignment is more overlooked than nock fit.

I however agree with nub all the way. I believe the biggest thing people over look is how well they shoot to begin with. Form and grip play a huge role in tuning a bow. If you can't grip the bow consistantly from shot to shot, how do you expect it to tune consistanly? Many people have the misconception that if they can't get thier arrows to group the bow must be out of tune. It can't be them! Well I don't mean to whiz in your breakfast cereal, but an out of tune bow will group arrows. I've done it and seen others do it as well. The honest to God truth is if you can't group arrows at 20 yards you either are not doing things the same way every time, or you can't hold steady enough to do it.

Sure, tuning a bow will help it be more forgiving, but it isn't going to magically shrink your 3 inch groups into having 3 arrows touching everytime. If it does I believe it was more in your head than anything.

I think another thing people miss or don't do when tuning is number thier arrows. If you take a systematic aproach to tuning, it's pretty hard to miss things. If nock fit was an issue and you had your arrows numbered, it would show up as an arrow problem, not a tuning problem. If you have the same one or two arrows missing the mark everytime it's time to start looking over the arrow. Not tweaking on the bow. Either nock fit, alignment, weight or spine. Or a damaged or warped arrow possibly.

Paul
Old 08-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

All of the above stated issues are important and often overlooked. Proper center shot is also overlooked, and can be important especially in long range shooting.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do you check for proper nock fit? Also on my knocks they have a little bump on the side are these suppose to be the same on every shaft?

Quick Reply: What you believe is commonly overlooked when tuning or troubleshooting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.