HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 12:52 AM
got a hunch
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Hi Guys,

I haven't checked this board in a while. I see a lot of new activity. As everyone else I'm starting to think about hunting. I have a group of 19 hunters that I take to Mirage every year Nov. 30 to Dec. 3. I have seen guys hunt caribou with everything from a .243 (the smallest caliber they will allow) to .338 magnum (a little much). I use a 30.06 with 150 NBT. My hunting partner uses a 25.06 with 115 partition. Both do a fine job. I've had shots as far as 350 yards and as close as 30 yards. You may want a range finder in case you hunt the lakes as the distance is hard to judge with no reference point except frozen lake in front of you. We stayed at Donat the first year I hunted up there and I would not go back. This will be my 4th year at Mirage and I will use them as long as I continue to hunt up there. For a couple of hundred dollars it is worth it to have hot showers and not have to cook after hunting, gutting and dragging all day. I haven't stayed at Nouchime but have not heard anything negative about it from anyone who has. Anyone who likes hunting will enjoy this trip. You may not see the monster bulls but you will see some nice ones and you will see thousands of animals. A great photo and video opportunity.