Community
6mm’s & Quarter Bores Includes centerfire factory and wildcat cartridges from .243 to .277 that can be used for small game, predators and varmints as well as larger game.

6mm Remington

Old 12-25-2014, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 6mm Remington

was walkingthrough Buck Rinkers gun shop and noticed a bolt gun with the crank on the left, immediately told him I wanted it, he said why, I replied its a left handed action, not many of them left anymore.
turned out to be a rem. 788 6mm, brought it home and started messing with it.
Remington built the 6mm to compete with winchers entry the 243, back then the 6mm was named the 244, rem. made a lot of mistakes, but this one really cost them, they gave it a 12 twist causing it not to stabilize bullets over 90 gr. the 100 grainers were what folks wanted for deer and the 243 with the 10 twist shot them fine.
the sales for the 243 were skyrocketing while the 244 faultered, too little too late Remington changed the twist to a 9, then renamed the cartridge the 6mm. Its sad, the 6 mm in my opinion is a better cartridge, it shares the case with the 257 Roberts and the 7x57, and will generate close to 200 fps more muzzle velocity than the 243.
I like the hornady 87 gr spire points or the nosler 95 gr ballistic tip lit up with a max charge of IMR 4831, IMR 4350 is almost as good but a bit slower in muzzle velocity. with todays bullets such as the 105 bergers the 6mm will cleanly take deer to 500 yards or more if your rifle has the accuracy.
I changed the stock on my 788, its a Richards microfit monte carlo sporter, think it cost me 67 bucks, finished it, had it pillared and glassed, did atrigger job, it does very well making live stuff dead

RR
Old 12-25-2014, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

I also like the 6mm I have a ruger 77 mark II in it it shoots the hornady 95 gr sst the best. My cousin also a lefty has a rem 788 he had since he was a kid, he also has a 742 in 6mm. My dad's uncle had a 742 6mm hard to tell how many deer was killed with it. A very good round in my opinion.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

6MM Rem. is my favorite! It's a pity no one is making them anymore as a factory offering. Remington did make it in the CDL Special Edition in 2012 and I got one, wish I'd have bought at least two of them!