Community
6mm’s & Quarter Bores Includes centerfire factory and wildcat cartridges from .243 to .277 that can be used for small game, predators and varmints as well as larger game.

6mm PPC

Old 12-25-2014, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 6mm PPC

my acquiring of this cartridge was more or less an accident, I had been using an H&K model 91 308, the assault rifle ban was in the opening stages and being young and naieve I decided I'd best unload it before it was confiscated, but I wanted a 308 semi, so I took the 91 to the local shop and traded it in on the yet to be released ruger X-GI, the mini-14 scaled back up to 308, the X-GI was never released and none ever made it into the hands of the public, so was stuck in a rut, the shop sold the 91 in 2 days and I needed a rifle so I accepted a ruger mini-30.
that rifle would not shoot nothing, it suk'd and I hated it, another dilemma I finaly located a smith in tx who specialized working on mini-14's and mini-30's, He did a mini-14 of mine with awesome results so I called him about the problem child the mini-30.
I was fed up with the 7.62x39 in general, he said he could rebarrel it to a PPC cartridge, I did the research and settled on the 6mm PPC.
The 6mm PPC was developed by a couple benchrest shooters using the same set of standards Remington used for the line of benchrest cases, short fat case, small primer pocket, except the PPC used a much more common 7.62x39 case.
This little cartridge amazes me more every year, I use it for varmint hunting, and doe hunting. I shoot a nosler 55 gr BT at around 3200 fps and the results areimpressive, accuracy is better than you would expect from a ruger semi. The bullet doesn't exit very often on deer but have never had one go more than 30 yards after the little nosler impacts. it is not a fox rifle though, it will turn a grey fox almost inside out, but on coyote sized game is an excellent choice.
I put it on the bench at a gunsmiths shop once to prove to him semi's would in fact shoot as well as a bolt gun.
at 100yards I lined up on the target...Bang, Bang, Bang. It wasn't quite one ragged hole but the smith put his 250 AI away.

The rifle has an 18" lothar walther stainless match bull barrel with a 12 twist, a thumbhole stock by wenig, and a burris 4x12 compact target scope
RR
Old 09-26-2019, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Revisiting this one after a few years - which powder and bullet weight do you run in your PPC? I finally took the plunge into the 243 LBC, which is the same as the PPC, effectively, but with the shoulder 70 thousandths further forward.

I’m starting with 103 ELD’s and 8208, can give more of an update soon to come as I get more time under the rifle.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I run H322 and 55 gr NBT's, its a 12 twist so probably won't spin the heavies. and its just a truck gun for varmints and vermin but shoots well.
RR
Old 09-28-2019, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine is an AR-15, 24” semibull (.875” gas block) 1:8” twist in 243LBC. I bought the barrel after lusting after the idea of one or another 6mm Grendel variants, whether 243 LBC, 6mmAR, 6 FatRat, 6 Turbo40, etc. I didn’t care for the proprietary, single source constraints of several of the “higher performance” variants, and I scored a great deal on the 243 LBC barrel, so I couldn’t resist any longer.

Mine is meant for extending the range of the AR-15 platform, I’d have loved to have a 1:7” twist, but the maker only went as fast as a 1:8”. I shot a 24” 1:8” bolt rifle with 105 Hybrids all of last precision rifle season, with an incredibly slow barrel, and running a moderate/low velocity node - only pushing about 2800fps - so I expect this 243 LBC will do fine with 103 ELD’s and 105 Hybrids at 1:8”, but I haven’t taken time to stretch its legs as busy as this summer and fall have been. More to come!