HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Harnesses
Thread: Harnesses
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 02:55 PM
KimberRuger

Default Harnesses

This will be my first year, first time bowhunting.

My cousin gave me his old Summit climbing stand - complete with the older strap-style safety harness. Having hunted from the ground for 23 years, ever since I was 17, I've gotten pretty used to a large "platform" to stand on.

I practiced setting up the stand on a tree in my back yard, and climbed the tree c couple of times. Now, I'm not "afraid" of heights (not paranoid at least), but good ol' Mother Earth feels a lot better to me. I think that "terra firma" - with a heavy emphasis on the "firma" part applies to me.

Anyway, I really don't trust this strap. A friend who bowhunts said that the only thing worse than falling with this type of strap on is falling without any strap - he said it hurts like heck when the strap digs into your chest and ribs.

So, with all that in mind, I'm going to get a newer style "harness" - the kind that straps around your leg/groin area while it holds your upper torso/chest. The problem is that I've spent my "allowance" on the bow, arrows, sight, rest, dampener, release, quiver, target bag, etc.

Is there an "economical" safety harness out there that is COMFORTABLE, easy to use, and SAFE ?

Yeah, I know, this comes into the same territory as Hoyt vs Matthews, expandable vs broadhead, Chevy vs Ford, etc., but I figured the more input I get, the better informed decision I will be able to make.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.